Bed and Breakfast Guide Amsterdam
Let's start with the basics. What is a bed and breakfast? A bed and breakfast is a small, intimate accommodation that offers overnight stays and sometimes breakfast, but no other meals to its guests. The B&B is most often in the same house or apartment as where the people who run it live.
If you're looking for a unique place to stay in Amsterdam, why not try a bed and breakfast in a houseboat? These floating B&Bs offer all the comforts of a regular bed and breakfast, plus the added bonus of being on the water. Amsterdam is home to hundreds of canals, so there's no shortage of houseboats to choose from.
In historic buildings
If you're looking for more traditional accommodations, Amsterdam has plenty of bed and breakfasts to choose from in general. Many of these B&Bs are located in historic buildings, so you'll be able to get a taste of what life was like in Amsterdam centuries ago. Many of these B&Bs are located in the city center, so you'll be within walking distance of all the major tourist attractions (see below).
Things to do in Amsterdam
No matter where you stay, you'll be able to find plenty of things to do in Amsterdam. The city is home to world-famous museums like the Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh Museum. If you're a fan of art, Amsterdam is definitely the place for you. The city is also home to countless cafes, bars, and restaurants, so you'll never go hungry. And of course, no trip to Amsterdam would be complete without a visit to one of the city's famous coffee shops.
The top 5 things to do are:
- Visit the Anne Frank House
- Take a tour of the Heineken Brewery
- Go on a canal cruise
- Visit the Van Gogh Museum
- Take a walk through the Vondelpark
The 5 best bars to visit are:
- De Duivel
- In de Wildeman
- Café Hoppe
- De Prael
Some things that you should avoid doing when in Amsterdam include:
- Refusing to pay the fare when taking a photo inside a canal boat
- Not being careful when walking around canals as they can be slippery
- Not being aware of the city's many bicycles and getting in their way
- Littering or smoking in public areas
- Ignoring the rules of the famous coffee shops
Booking a floating bed and breakfast
Whether you're looking for a traditional bed and breakfast or a floating houseboat B&B, Amsterdam has plenty of options to choose from. There's something for everyone in this historic city.
So what should you pay attention to when booking? The things to keep in mind when booking a bed and breakfast in Amsterdam include:
- The location of the accommodation.
- The amenities that are offered, like is a breakfast offered at all, and if yes, is it included in the price or available as paid option?
- The price in comparison to the B&B, is it reasonable?
- If you need a kitchen, check if a fully equipped kitchen is available, most bed and breakfasts are legally not allowed to have one.
- It is also important to read reviews of bed and breakfasts before making the actual reservation.
A bed and breakfast houseboat in Amsterdam is a great way to experience the city from a unique perspective. Houseboats are moored in the city's canals and therefore offer a comfortable and intimate setting for a romantic getaway or a family vacation. Many of the city's top attractions are within walking distance of the canals, making it easy to explore Amsterdam's bustling streets and lively nightlife.
Is it easy to start a bed and breakfast in Amsterdam?
There is no easy answer when it comes to starting a bed and breakfast. However, with hard work and dedication, it is certainly possible to be successful in this venture. There are a number of things to consider when starting a bed and breakfast, such as location, amenities, and marketing. It is important to do your research and make sure you are prepared for the challenges that come with starting a new business. As the municipality of Amsterdam has many very strict rules when it comes to opening a B&B. You also need to have a license and keep a strict administration. But it is definitely fun to run a B&B after you have conquered all the (legal) requirements! And you get a chance to host guests from all over the world and show them around in our beautiful city!
Have a great B&B stay in Amsterdam!
Picture credit: https://www.pexels.com